Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Weekend! Part 1: Lance's 5k Race

We started off our Easter weekend early and cold. We had to get up early and drive in the snow 40 miles to run in a 5k. Doesn't that sound fun! It really turned out pretty great for the unfortunately cold and windy weather that we had. The girls had been looking forward to this for weeks. I actually had been looking forward to this for weeks. My little brother, Lance, was born with Spina Bifida. He is a senior in High School this year. For his senior project he decided to oraganize a 5k fun run for Spina Bifida. All the proceeds made from the race would be donated to Primary Children's Medical Center. I have never ran in a 5k and this was to be my first. I have been running 4-5 times a week for the last year and four months. I was ready! I got an infection in my leg this week that made me unable to participate in the run. I was pretty upset. But I was a volunteer and helped with the race. So I still participated.
The weather was really yucky. It was in the mid 30's with tons of wind. It felt about 17 degrees. Boy was it chilly. There were 106 runners and walkers. Way more than we thought would show up. Lance had such awesome support. Here are a few pics of my family that ran in the race.
My amazing sister in law, Kelli. It hasn't even been 3 weeks since she had her baby boy, Hunter. Doesn't she look great! Go Kelli!
My older brother, Travis. He looks great since having Hunter less than 3 weeks ago. Woohoo!
My Awesome hubby, Carl. Debuting in his 1st 5k. He did amazing. Run Carl, run!!!
Grandma Pam walking with Sophie in tow.
Steve and Ellie jogging the last little bit! I was suprised Ellie made it so far.

Scott was a HUGE help in organizing this run. He and Erica were both amazing with organizing and helping Lance plan a bunch. So they were very busy behind the scenes and did not get to run the race. They were running back and forth getting things organized. So they did run. Thanks for all you guys did. You are both AMAZING!
Lance was interviewed and placed on the local news station. It was fun to see him on TV as well as others who helped with the race. He did great!
Two of the cutest volunteers. Kensie and Ellie loved helping.
Lance had to have several volunteers just to be able to do the race.

Thanks to all those who helped in way, shape or form. Thanks to the many walkers and runners who braved the dang cold weather to participate in this great event. Thanks to the many sponsors. Thanks to all those who donated time, money, ad space and more to help Lance in his wonderful cause. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally! Great pics! Sorry you didn't get to run, but thanks for all the help on the course, at registration, etc. Love ya!