Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sophie's Surgery

Sophie had her eye surgery on Thursday morning. We had to be at the hospital by 6:00am. We filled out some paper work and waited for them to call her name. Five minutes later her nurse came and got her. We went back to same day surgery and answered a few questions and met the anesthetist. She was given some medication that would make her a little drowsy and actually give her amnesia so that she wouldn't cry when they took her from us. And she will not remember being separated from us. I think that I needed the medication more than her. That was tough for me to let her go. She went in at 7:30 am and about 9:20 am her Dr. came out to let us know that all went well. She had her I.V. after they put her out and she didn't cry one bit. The Dr. seemed pleased with the surgery and thought that her eyes looked just like she wanted them to. It will take a few months for the muscle to heal to be sure that it was successful. But for now we are hopeful that it went well and we will have no further surgeries. We went back to recovery about 9:40 am. Boy, did we have a MAD little girl. She was so upset and crying. There was no consoling this little lady. The Dr. said that she would wake up mad, so we were prepared. But it was hard not to be able to do anything to help her. We took turns holding her until she finally fell asleep. The nurse took out her I.V. while she was sleeping and she stayed asleep! Then they released us. We were out of there at 10:30 am and on the road home. She slept the entire way home. That day she pretty much kept her eyes shut and was spit fire mad when she was awake. I felt so bad for her. She slept well that night, we were very surprised that she slept all night. Friday was the 4th and I hung out at home with her while Carl took the big girls to the parade. They had a great time. Sophie was still a little grumpy, but not as bad as Thursday. We had a barbecue later at Carl's parents. I took Sophie home before they did fireworks. She was not supposed to be outside for the next few days. She is doing better everyday. Her eyes look pretty good. I have tried to take some pictures, but she has a hard time keeping her eyes open long enough for a good picture. I'll keep trying. She is such a little trooper. We have a post-op appointment with the Dr. Wednesday. We hope that all goes well and she looks perfect. I don't think that any of us want to repeat that day again!

1 comment:

Blair & Kristen Heward said...

What a sweet little girl. I feel so bad that she had to go through that. It's hard when they are little and don't understand what's going on. Your a trooper for having to do this as well. It's hard for mom's. I think her eyes look great so I hope they stay that way and no more surgeries!