Monday, April 28, 2008

Sophie is in Nursery

I am writing this blog and still cannot believe that my baby is old enough to be in nursery. Sunday was Sophie's first day in nursery. What an event. I am the pianist in primary. So, I arranged to have a CD playing prelude music in primary so that I could take Sophie to the nursery. I took her in and there were 3 leaders there. I introduced them to Sophie and explained that it was her 1st time to nursery. I had envisioned one of them taking her little hand and showing her the ropes. Well, 2 seconds later moms with crying toddlers appeared everywhere. One by one, each mother handed their crying toddler to each leader and hurried off. There was no leader left for Sophie. So I showed her the toys and she found one that she liked. I set her and the toy on the ground and left. I really wanted to cry. Would I have been the first mom ever to cry when leaving her baby in nursery? I felt pathetic, but this did not go how I had planned at all. She was not crying when I left, but I don't think that she knew that I had skipped out on her. I went and played piano for the primary and left for a minute to check on Sophie. She was crying while one of the leaders was giving the lesson. I wondered if I should go get her or leave her. Well, I left her and checked a few minutes later to see that they were having snacks and she was happy. She sure did look tiny at the snack table. You could barely see her head above the table. It made me so sad and so proud of her all at the same time. She did a great job for her first time in nursery. The last hour was a little tough, but she did a great job for her first time. I am thinking that next Sunday that we may not be as lucky. She knows what's going on now. I guess that we'll have to wait and see if both Sophie and I will be crying next week.

6 comments:

~Shantelle~ said...

It's so hard watching our babies grow up.... I'm sure Sophie will do fine in nursery it will just be an adjustment for her, after all she's used to gathering the rolls and being free to go where she wants. Now she is confined to the prison as some kids see it. Good luck next week to both of you :)

Jen said...

I had a hard time leaving Caleb in the nursery for the first time (now he LOVES to go), and I know I'll have a hard time in 6 months when Austin has to go to nursery! It sounds like Sophie did pretty well, especially considering all of the crying toddlers around. Hopefully things will go well next week--good luck!!

Anonymous said...

I think it's truly harder on us than it is on them and you said it perfectly when you said that you wanted to cry but you felt so proud all at the same time. Motherhood brings with it a whole new adventure of emotions.

Unknown said...

Sophie is acting very grown up. She thinks she is a big girl now. We love her very much. Love Mom

Geanie said...

Andrea, I tracked you down. Cute blog. Good job on getting Sophie in the nursery. I am still working on the last three, Is 5 too old to still think you need to sleep with mom? Chris and I may just have to find a new bed. I'm adding you to my blog so I can see what the Darringtons are up to.
Geanie

Three Men and a Lady (plus a baby) said...

Nursury was hard for Bryce too. I can't believe now that he is in nursury and I don't have to walk the halls anymore, i get called to primary.....